Temporary and temp-to-hire opportunities are a great way to try a job or work environment on for size before making a commitment.
Many times, these roles often lead to exciting and fulfilling careers!
If you have been hired on in a full-time capacity or are filling a temporary opening, and want to turn your assignment into a permanent role, starting out strong is key.
And we’re going to help you do just that.
Tips to go from temporary worker to permanent employee
Make a good first impression.
You know you’re a fantastic addition to the group. But your co-workers don’t know that yet.
Impress them on day one by demonstrating your strong work ethic and dedication to the job.
- Arrive early. This is the easiest approach to go the extra mile on your first day. It tells your boss that you’re reliable. Plus, it conveys your commitment and eagerness.
- Be positive. Diving into a busy day ahead with an optimistic mindset will illustrate how easy it is to work with you.
- Only use your phone during breaks. This way, your employer will see how focused you are on the task at hand.
It might sound simple, but these tips will go a long way in developing good working relationships with your boss and your coworkers.
And who knows? They may be the first steps toward earning a permanent spot on the team.
No one expects you to start a new job knowing everything from day one, no matter what your experience level is.
After all, everyone starts a new position with fresh eyes.
So ask questions—about the business, about your position, about how you are doing.
It helps you perform better in your role. You’ll learn more about business operations and gain some insight into the company’s history.
It’s also a great way to show your interest in the future of the company — and that you want a future there as well!
Not only will your employer be impressed, you’ll stand out.
Get to know your team.
Yes, you are at work to work, not to make friends. But it’s not a bad idea to become better acquainted with your colleagues on a personal level.
Why is this so important?
It breaks the ice. And it’ll help establish a more cohesive work environment.
Even the smallest personal connection fosters trust and prompts people to turn to each other for help or advice when problems arise.
And as an added bonus, you may find that you really like your coworkers!
While doing your job well is a great way to be successful in a job, finding opportunities to go the extra mile will always help you stand out.
Especially when you provide that help without needing to be asked.
Here are some ways you can take initiative in any role:
- Volunteer to take on a tedious or unpopular task.
- Share ideas if you see opportunities to improve processes.
- Anticipate needs and have a plan to help support on busy days.
- Ask for more responsibilities.
- Finding opportunities to take initiative at work will help you go from employee to team player and you will be seen as an invaluable source of support.
Consistency is important to succeed in any role. It helps with productivity and goes a long way in cultivating trust, with both your manager and your teammates.
The great thing is that you don’t have to do anything superhuman.
- Show up on time every day.
- Have a plan of what you want/need to get done.
- Ask questions if any task is unclear.
- Start every day with a positive attitude and an eagerness to learn.
Doing this will demonstrate your care about the company and the work you do. And you’ll establish yourself as a dedicated worker.
Building your reputation as a rock star candidate doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time and effort.
But by following these steps, you’ll increase your chances of turning your temporary position into a permanent role – and, hopefully, you’ll have found a fulfilling career!
And if you’re looking for extra tips to do well at work, check out this article:
How TERRA Can Be a Resource
Whether you’re looking for your next employment opportunity or ways to grow your career, TERRA can help!
Our recruiters are the best at what they do and are committed to helping people find jobs in which they can thrive!
We have offices in the Seattle-Puget Sound, Portland, Phoenix, Denver and Texas-Metro areas and work with many companies across a variety of industries. Temp, contract, temp-to-hire and permanent opportunities are available.
To see some of the jobs we offer, check out our current job openings.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Call us today. We’d love to help you find the right fit.
(Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2013 and has been updated for freshness, accuracy and comprehensiveness.)